Over the Years!
The Peter H. Peirce Homestead
The Peirce Family
From: 1814 To: 1904
Residents: Peter H. Peirce & Abigail Sproat Peirce
Background: The land was purchased from Peter's brother, Levi for $172.75. Within the year, the Peirce house was built. Although not pretentious, it was the best in the neighborhood. It was a two-story federal style structure with a one-story L-shaped rear wing with its open shed that exists today. In 1827, the front part of the house was raised, and a slightly wider structure was built as the ground floor. At that same time, the oval-shaped suspended staircase was installed. It was during this time that Greek revival features were also incorporated into its features. Among them were the open porch with Tuscan columns on three sides.